Q. When is the best time to combat employee rule-breaking?
A. Before the rules are broken, with clear, comprehensive employee manuals and policies.
Many companies’ employment policies exist in a kind of confusing array. It is, in many cases, a scattered series of printed announcements and online updates. Or the employee manual is a three-ring notebook that is different on every desk. Or it is so long and legalistic that no one bothers to reference it.
Crafters of Clarifying Employee Manuals and Policies
At Lawrence M. Donoghue & Associates, P.C., we work with companies to ensure that company communications are current, easily available, easy to understand, and compliant with mandatory Illinois and federal requirements.
These matters include:
- Written policies placing the company in compliance with, among others:
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- (cannabis act)
- National Labor Relations Act
- Illinois Human Rights Act
- Employee manuals, spelling out the expectations of employment, as well as the benefits
- Contracts written right so that they stand up to challenges later
- Confidentiality and trade secrets policies that close the door before information gets out
- Written policy on disciplinary action, so people know in advance what will happen when rules are broken
Conveniently located on Chicago’s North Shore, where the Edens Expressway meets Skokie Highway.
Experienced Cook County Employee Handbook Attorney
I help review personnel policy manuals and other employment documents to ensure compliance with applicable laws and avoid liability in the event of later challenges. Until a knowledgeable attorney reviews your company policies, you don’t really know what you have.
Located in Northbrook and Serving All of Chicago Area
Our firm doesn’t “take over” the HR function. We serve as a legal adjunct to HR, making sure that company policies are the right policies, from a lawful and strategic point of view. We do not run your business, but work closely with it to ensure that management understands the risks of every option.
The best preventive measure against employee lawsuits and discontent is a clear, unmistakable policy manual available to all employees. Call Chicago employment lawyer Lawrence Donoghue at 847-509-9177. Or e-mail him using this form.